5.01.2009

golden

Summertime is coming!

With only three full weeks of school before finals, I've been pondering summer. I have eighty golden days of vacation.

This summer's definitely going to be different than any previous ones, but that's not a bad thing. I'll be taking classes at the community college, and I have other plans too, including music and English and work and dance and Circle of Friends Camp and a whole lot of watermelon. 

At first, eighty days seemed like a terribly short break. I was a little disappointed, but now I think it's more of a good thing than a bad thing. I won't have time to get bored and unappreciative, taking it for granted. The summer will be sweeter for its brevity, and I will enjoy every single golden day.

Of course it won't be hard to go back to school, because I really do like it a lot. Senior year, here I come...that seems incredible. Am I really that old?

I remember sweet days of sunshine and childhood, how they seemed to last forever. I remember shimmery mornings, and dewdrops on crocuses, and backyard picnics, and the way the sun crept, ever so slowly, slanting through the kitchen window. And the golden days lasted for weeks, and a month was a year, and a year was an eternity, because I was small.

Even though I'm not very old, I've noticed that life has drastically accelerated since that time. Now the days happen so rapidly that before I know it, a week has passed, and a month, and a school year and summertime and then my birthday, and I'm a year older. Already. Sometimes it's hard to believe. This school year has flown by.

I tend to appreciate day-to-day life much more when I'm not overly stressed out. God has been so sweet to give me a new getting-ready-for-school routine, which allows for me to spend time with Him every morning. I'll say more about that later, because it's bedtime now, thank goodness. I appreciate sleep so much more now than I did when I was small! 

1 comment:

Mom said...

Julia, I am so thankful that I was able to spend the sweet days of sunshine and childhood with you. You were such a joy and you still are. I love you, Mom