2.05.2008

Flipflops and Omelettes

A random thought: have you ever felt sorry for those poor people who don't live in Texas and can't wear flipflops in February?

This morning I made my first omelette. The process was so much easier than I expected! I've always been rather nervous about making omelettes. Here's how I did it:

1. Lightly coat a small pan with nonstick spray (my pan was about 8"). Normally I use butter, but I read that spray works better for omelettes. Dip a fork in sour cream (for extra flavor and creaminess) and use it to beat two large eggs. Season to taste--I like to use garlic salt and lemon pepper.

2. Prepare your filling. This morning, I used chopped avocado, chopped onion, and chopped tomato with a little garlic and cilantro--almost like really chunky guacamole. It tasted sort of summery and Mexican. If you use garlic, don't overdo it (like I did).

Personally, I think that sauteed mushrooms and onions with chicken and Swiss cheese would be really tasty. Or broccoli, lightly steamed (left over from last night's dinner, maybe?) and other vegetables, like asparagus. Or ham and cheddar with green onions...the possibilities are endless!

3. Shred the cheese. Cheese is absolutely necessary! I shredded mine finely so that it would melt easier.

4. Turn the stove on to a medium-low heat. If you have electric, wait for it to warm up. If you have gas (like we do), it'll be hot instantly. Pour the eggs into the pan. Pick up the pan and swirl the eggs around once so you get a little crust along the edge of the pan. Wow, telling you is way harder than actually doing it!

5. Leave the eggs alone for a minute so the bottom sets slightly. Using your fork, lightly stir the raw egg on the top, so it stays really fluffy. Don't mess with the bottom crust!

6. When the eggs are really beginning to set and the bottom crust gets pretty thick, slide a spatula underneath the eggs so they don't stick. Now, flip the whole omelette over with your spatula. This works best when your pan is fairly small. Fear not, this is waaaay easier than it sounds! It's just like a pancake. Give it a minute to cook, then add your fillings. Put these on one side only, in a half-moon shape. Then, using your spatula (and fingers if you need them) fold half of the omelette over the fillings. Put the lid of the pan on for a minute while you grab your plate. If you want the cheese to melt, wait a few more seconds, then slide the omelette onto your plate. Bon appetit!


I don't know if that even made any sense to anybody, but I enjoyed making the omelette (and eating it too!) and it's not as hard as it sounds.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia! No, I've never felt sorry for anybody who didn't get to wear flip flops in February. Most of the time, I've envied them ;) But wait till I'm in Ukraine- I may want some sympathy then! The omelette sounds yummy. My Dad is the omelette maker at our house, so I rarely try it. Oh...for a REALLY interesting omelette recipe, check out teh one Jasper Burklin made up! His mom blogged it yesterday or the day before. It's so funny!

Have a great day!