3.19.2008

Azalea Fest

This past weekend, since it was the last of Dad's spring break, my family and I went to Nacogdoches for the Azalea Festival. Because of last week's freeze, they weren't in full bloom yet, so we skipped the Azalea Drive and went to the Arboretum & Gardens at SFA. It was so beautiful! We ate a picnic lunch on a sunny bench surrounded by pink azaleas, then walked through the trails.

We encountered a highly unusual tree, the tetra-armed oak. I think it's an endangered species.


Some of the azaleas were blooming, but those and the rhododendron hadn't peaked yet. Here are a few of the blooming azaleas. Do you see the bee?


We caught the end of the camellia season. Camellia are some of my favorite flowers! We have a pink camellia bush outside the kitchen window, but I think it's sick--it didn't bloom this year and the leaves are rather yellowish. I guess I need to sing to it more. Did you know that singing to a camellia plant may help it grow better? Evidently, the chemicals in your breath are absorbed through the leaves and act as fertilizer (or something like that, I don't quite remember). However, I don't sit outside and sing to my flower bush--I need a reason. I'd rather wait until I have to mulch or prune.


Come to think of it, the thing I read about singing to camellias also said that you should get really close, and that the louder you sing, the better. Hmm. At least it didn't say that camellia prefer Italian opera--then I really wouldn't believe it! Wouldn't that be a sight--me sitting in the yard with my head stuck into a camellia bush, singing Italian operas at the top of my lungs?

At the gardens, the "tulip trees" were also in bloom. Oh, I love them--how beautiful they are! I learned that they are actually a type of magnolia. I've never seen so much variety in them before--we saw white, yellow, burgundy, and the classic pinks.





We also saw many other beautiful plants (expect pictures in forthcoming posts) but the best part was spending time together, enjoying God's amazing creation. I thank God for my family--I love them!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your photos are so beautiful! Can I hire you? I am having the worst time with my digital......and your email address didn't work. Is it @lp.com ?

Anonymous said...

Leigh, my email is @lpemail.com. I would love to help you with your pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hey Julia, you need to delete the first comment.

Anonymous said...

I did--thanks. =)

Anonymous said...

I love the photography!!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pinks with us all. We didn't get a chance to see the azaleas this year...or haven't yet.