4.20.2009

artistic liberation, part two

I'm so constantly amazed in the way that God, the Almighty Ruler of the Universe, who keeps the planets spinning, is concerned with and involved in the little details of our lives. I think what it comes down to is that God cares about the state of our hearts. The goal here is that we are satisfied in Him (but it doesn't stop there!) and that we enjoy Him forever. And He is so amazing that He brings about His purposes and works in our hearts even through things like art. 

Over this past semester, God has been teaching me more about who He is through my artistic dabbling. He is the wondrous Creator of all things, and the One who makes everything new--He brings restoration and healing and hope to famished hearts.

As I've been filling up my sketchbook, I see more and more that I cannot create anything apart from God. However, I can celebrate His marvelous creativity and the glory of His works through my art. I can attempt to portray His fingerprints--the earth is completely besmattered with them; we just don't notice--in a fresh way that brings fame to His name. And this is what excites me.

Cassie, my sweet friend, once mentioned in a letter something she read about how some Middle-Eastern craftsmen always intentionally leave a flaw in their work, whether it be pottery aor waeving or painting. Why? To show that only God is perfect. It's kind of like that with the flaws in my life. While God didn't put them there, they can most definitely serve as a foil to emphasize His greatness and utterly exquisite perfection. I wouldn't want it any other way. 

In the same way, if my little bit of artistic gifting, imperfect though it may be, can bring notice and honor to the incredibly exquisite works of God, let it be so! I think that's why He gives us unique skills and abilities in the first place. When we make the choice to learn to use them for Him, that's when we find the most fulfillment and true joy in them. I believe that when we do this, a place in the depths of our hearts is satisfied. I can't even really explain it, other than knowing that this is how it is meant to be

So I continue to draw and paint for the same reasons that I sing and dance and, for that matter, why I live--to know God and to bring Him praise. And that doesn't sound nearly as boring as it used to, because God is teaching me in this. And it's one of the most exciting things ever! 

No comments: